23 leadership lessons in 25 minutes is my summary of 90 ideas in 90 minutes hosted by the Corridor Business Journal on May 28, 2020. This annual event brings together nine business leaders of the Eastern Iowa Corridor to share their 10 best lessons or words of wisdom in 90 minutes.
I’ve never attended the event but this year several of the leaders involved were ones I wanted the opportunity to learn more about. On this episode of The Pursuit of Purpose, I share 23 leadership lessons shared by these leaders – and offer my take on the meaning and identify the unifying theme I recognized after spending the day reflecting on the messages.
Here is a list of those mentioned in today’s episode:
- Tony Bedard, CEO of Frontier Co-Op
- Tara Cronbaugh, President & Owner, Java House Coffee Roasters
- Suresh Gunasekaran, CEO of University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Nate Kaeding, Director of Business Development, Build to Suit, Inc.
- Mary Kempf, Vice President of Finance, Pearson
- Steve Shriver, CEO of Eco Lips
Life in the ER
My second favorite for the month is an interview with a ER doctor from Philadelphia. I listened to this at the beginning of the month and so much of what he shared about working in a busy emergency department during the pandemic stayed with me – and came back to mind frequently throughout the month.
- Decisions related to personal and family safety – do you stay at home or in a hotel?
- Decisions related to how to care for patients – when the virus is unknown and typical resource for standard practices of care are non-existent.
- How broken our healthcare system actually is when the electronic health record – which is intended to make communication and care delivery more streamlined is more financially motivated than human motivated.
- The family bond of emergency personnel as they remember the loss of one of their own.
This interview offers a view of the front line of the pandemic and one I believe many do not understand. Listen to Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman, Crisis lessons from inside the ER.
Over the last few weeks, I’ve been connecting with several possible guests for the show – many are coming together and will be featured in the coming weeks. And I want to give a shout-out to a good friend, Shuva Rahim, who joined the ranks of podcast host this month. Her show, Untrained Wisdom, introduces you to ordinary people who have redefined the paradigm on what it means to become older, and industry professionals whose expertise guides seasoned generations to live more fulfilling lives.
The other podcast I referenced in the show – The Pattern of Purpose with Kim Wensel, The Female Advantage in Business can be listened to here.
How to rate and leave a review for a podcast
- On your iOS mobile device, launch the Apple podcasts app.
- Tap the search tab in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the Reviews tab, then tap Write a Review at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to The Pursuit of Purpose on Stitcher
- Scroll down until you see Write a Review under “load more episodes”
- Write a review or leave a rating