Branding. Marketing. What is the difference? Is there a difference? Or are these the same thing? It depends. Everyone has an opinion. Including industry professionals – there isn’t a standard definition of either branding or marketing.
Branding is…. Marketing is…
There are so many different ideas, opinions, and nuances to these two words. Clients wanting a logo believe they need branding. Is it? Or is it marketing? Or maybe they want a blog written. Is that branding or marketing?
Let’s consider this
Brand is why. Marketing is how.
Branding is long-term. Marketing is short-term.
Branding is macro. Marketing is micro.
Branding defines trajectory. Marketing defines tactics.
Branding drives an enduring reputation. Marketing drives periodic sales.
Branding is the reason someone buys. Marketing is the reason someone thought to buy in the first place.
Branding builds loyalty. Marketing generates response.
Branding creates values. Marketing extracts values.
Branding is the being. Marketing is the doing.
I wish I had written this…. but I didn’t. Matchstic, a branding agency from Atlanta, published this on their website not long ago.
On this episode of The Pursuit of Purpose, I elaborate on each of these thoughts.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Branding vs Marketing, Matchstic
- Linked In post that inspired this episode
- The Pursuit of Purpose archive
- Branding is a verb
- Tactics before strategy rarely work
If you found yourself shaking your head and saying, “I really need to focus on my brand strategy” or been disappointed by the results of a video, brochure, or social media campaign, let’s talk strategy. Schedule a discovery call with me today. Together we’ll find clarity, consistency, and confidence necessary for your brand to grow and thrive.
How to rate and leave a review for a podcast
- On your iOS mobile device, launch the Apple podcasts app.
- Tap the search tab in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the Reviews tab, then tap
- Write a Review at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to The Pursuit of Purpose on Stitcher
- Scroll down until you see Write a Review under “load more episodes”
- Write a review or leave a rating