August 2019 Favorites File
What does friction, a purposeful life, and audio branding have in common? Probably nothing more than making my list of favorites for August.
This month flew by but not without some great educational or thought-provoking ideas catching my attention.
Purpose and intention is the connection.
Here is what you’ll hear about in Episode 11 of The Pursuit of Purpose. As a reminder, each month I share what I’ve listened to, what I’ve read and other resources that have helped me navigate the month.
- Friction: The Untapped Force That Can Be Your Most Powerful Advantage by Roger Dooley. Episode 237 of The Marketing Book Podcast. “Friction is a multi-trillion dollar problem. It frustrates customers, costs you sales, reduces loyalty, and creates negative word-of-mouth. Inside your organization, it destroys productivity, reduces employee engagement, and increases turnover. In Friction, you’ll learn how to spot it, how to eliminate it, and occasionally use it to your advantage.”
- The Miracle Morning for Parents and Families by Mike & Lindsay McCarthy with Hal Elrod. Purposeful parenting is listed as the first skill necessary to be an exceptional parent. As I read this section, the parallels to leadership were apparent. Each of the four steps outlined to become more purposeful in our parenting can easily be applied to business development.
- Regardless of where we are in our business, confidence is still a factor in our day-to-day lives. The Candid Confidence project offered by the What Works Network has deepened the conversation around confidence – whether you are just getting started or have been in business for several years. The podcast episodes in this project include: 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, and 231.
- Audio selection is an element of our brand. Who knew that listening to Gretchen Rubin’s Happier would result in this golden nugget? Not only is the title of the episode a good reminder for us all (consider the company that someone keeps), she shares her fascination with the podcast 20,000 Hertz, including a reference to the episode titled Soundmarks. To add build out the importance of audio to your brand, I found this about the five benefits of audio branding.
- And I close with a quote I found thought-provoking as well as close to my heart. You’ll have to listen to learn more about it.
Check out last month’s Favorites File and download the full list of my recommended podcasts and books.
Be sure to practice your purpose this week,