Imagine living a life of possibilities. Viewing each instance, each encounter, each challenge with the mindset of there is always a possibility. Some may say this sounds fluffy. Others may turn their nose up at it. But this attitude, mindset, or, as my guest on this week’s podcast calls it – purpose – is vital to her very existence.
Meet Melissa Ciciola
Melissa spent her time during the pandemic doing what many of us have done – reflecting on our lives, searching for answers, reflecting on where she had been and how she got there. But I bet her results are very different than most. She put words to her purpose and is now living her best life as a result.
Not all that long ago, Melissa was in a leadership role, doing work she loved until one day it wasn’t anymore. She was still in doing the job, still loved the work she was doing but circumstances changed. She dreaded going to work each day. A friend picked her up emotionally at the end of each day just so she could return to work the next day to be torn down again. A solo trip to England to visit family turned out to be her salvation.
Fast forward to the February/March 2020, Covid-19 is spreading across the globe and, like so many of us, working from home became the norm. Finding a balance between work and life was compromised. And Melissa turned to the messages of two voices that had carried her through pervious challenging times – Simon Sinek and Brene Brown.
This time Melissa took action when hearing Simon Sinek’s Start with Why message and took the online courses he and his team offered. She tells the story far better than I can summarize it.
Four key points from our conversation
- Melissa’s purpose have given her guideposts for how to live her life. She knows what fits and what doesn’t. And when she encounters what doesn’t fit, she says no and is OK with using that word.
- Understanding her purpose has opened her mind to opportunities. One example was speaking at Wyred. During a goal setting exercise, Melissa noted that in five years she wanted to be speaking at conferences or other public speaking opportunities. At the encouragement of the Wyred leadership, she spoke publicly within months rather than years.
- She is leaning into servant leadership in a more meaningful and impactful way.
- Early on in our conversation, she credits finding and putting her purpose into clear and concise words likely saved her life.
A passionate Leader specialized in the improvement and transformation of customer relationships, Melissa detects opportunities and inspires people to adopt a vision of a world full of possibilities. She lives in Montreal but works globally with with Contact Center Leaders and organizations who are looking to improve their customer relationships and employee experience programs.
Her WHY : To connect people to possibility so that we build a more courageous world and lay the foundations of growth and opportunity.
A huge fan of Simon Sinek, Brené Brown, and Authentic Leadership she is also raising 3 tiny humans with the mindset that the future can be better than today and each one of us can make it happen.
You can find Melissa on LinkedIn.
Resources from this episode:
- Simon Sinek books and resources
- Brene Brown books, resources, and podcast
- From the Pursuit of Purpose archives:
How to rate and leave a review for a podcast
- On your iOS mobile device, launch the Apple podcasts app.
- Tap the search tab in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the Reviews tab, then tap
- Write a Review at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to The Pursuit of Purpose on Stitcher
- Scroll down until you see Write a Review under “load more episodes”
- Write a review or leave a rating
Become an Advisory member of the Brand Confidence Mastermind!
As part of the Brand Confidence Mastermind, you’ll focus on creating an understanding of your brand, your audience, the services you provide, and the experiences your clients have with your business.
Whether you are a start-up, a business focused on growth, or a manager with marketing in your assigned duties, this Mastermind is designed to bring you clarity, consistency and confidence in the work you are doing to build, nurture, and protect the valuable asset your brand represents to your business. You will feel such a deep connection and ownership in the brand you represent that you’ll think at a critical level how the decision you make today will impact the reputation of the brand tomorrow, next week, and next year.
As an Advisory member, you’ll help shape the format of the program and guide the focused discussions. In return, you’ll receive a discounted membership rate. Set up a discovery call and we’ll discuss if the Mastermind is right for you.