Is your ideal target audience in your stories? Are you recognizing your ideal target audience when you see them?
If you answered no to those questions, you are not alone. It is not all that uncommon for businesses to believe they do all things for all people or have a much broader target audience then you can actually serve.
In this episode of The Pursuit of Purpose, we talk about the importance of recognizing your ideal target audience, why it is important for them to see themselves in your stories and messages, and the value of empathy in branding.
Get closer than ever to your customers. So close, in fact, that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves.Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple
Put your customers in your stories
When your ideal target audience sees themselves in your messages – whether that is how you speak to them in person, online or in your advertising – that person will be more inclined to pay attention to you and your business.
In order to put them in your stories, you need to know them. And build your story around your audience as the central character. For more on how to really get to know them, listen to Episode 7: Know your target audience.
Knowledge of your ideal target audience will also help you in crafting the experiences that create life-long customers. By knowing your audience, you can anticipate what they need, when they need it and be ready to make that offer when appropriate. This knowledge also makes it easier for you to show your appreciation for the loyalty your customers show you and your business.
If you need help recognizing your ideal target audience, I can help. Send me a note and we’ll find a time to talk. Getting clear on your audience will help you get clarity on your messaging and all of your marketing strategies.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Boy in wheelchair “stopped dead in his tracks”
- Ben Weprin – How to create a magical brand, Episode 187, Building a Story Brand with Donald Miller
- Who’s your target audience?, Episode 7, The Pursuit of Purpose
How to rate and leave a review for a podcast
- On your iOS mobile device, launch the Apple podcasts app.
- Tap the search tab in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the Reviews tab, then tap Write a Review at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to The Pursuit of Purpose on Stitcher
- Scroll down until you see Write a Review under “load more episodes”
- Write a review or leave a rating
Thank you for sharing this insightful piece! I can’t wait to try it out and see what my marketing team can do with the contact management software we are currently using.
I’m glad you found value in this information. When we know who our target audience is, our mindset is aligned with our goals, strategies become clearer and our lead generation efforts become more specific. It is yet another example of how boundaries in business can actually be a good thing. Let me what you implement and how it worked for you.