As more and more businesses are moving to online courses and programs, experiential learning has become a hot topic. In this episode, I talk with Romy Alexandra about creating a learning experience to ensure our audiences learn and retain the content of our program.
What is experiential learning?
Experiential learning focuses on the idea that the best way to learn things is by actually having experiences. Those experiences stick out in your mind and help you retain information and remember facts. Alexandra shares the philosophies of David Kolb, a psychologist and educational theorist known for this theory as well as his learning style inventory.
Four pillars of experiential learning
As we work to create a valuable learning environment for our audience, Alexandra shares how the four learning pillars influence how we share the content we are teaching.
- Experiencing – introducing a new concept, idea or experience
- Reflecting – do I understand what I just experienced and how does it differ from what I knew before
- Thinking – what did I learn from the experience
- Acting – putting what I’ve learned into action
About Romy Alexandra
Romy Alexandra is a Learning Experience Designer and certified Experiential Learning Trainer. She is passionate about leading impactful, engaging workshops that empower individuals to integrate experiential learning into their daily lives.
In early 2020, Romy brought her work online and honed the art of designing and delivering truly engaging, interactive, connecting, and fun virtual workshops. She now supports organizations across the globe to overcome their limiting beliefs about online meetings and helps to transform their virtual sessions. Romy’s portfolio includes clients such as the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Red Cross, Green Peace, Americorps, The Peace Corps, Points of Light, and many more. She is also a faculty member at the Institute for Experiential Learning.
In 2016 Romy was awarded a “Milli Award”, recognized as a Millennial Under 30 Changing the World.
Connect with Romy:
Resources relevant to this episode.
- Biography of psychologist David Kolb
- The Experiential Learning Theory of David Kolb
- 8 Important Things to Know about the Experiential Learning Cycle
- Kolb’s Learning Styles and Experiential Learning Cycle
- The Pursuit of Purpose Archives